Table of Contents:
- CORE ELEMENT
- How is Place of Publication defined
- Where are Rules for Place of Publication in RDA
- What are the Sources of Information for Place of Publication in RDA
- How is Place of Publication Transcribed / Recorded in Resource Description and Access (RDA)
- More than One Place of Publication
- Language or Script
- Place of Publication Not Identified
A place of publication is a place associated with the publication, release, or issuing of a resource. (RDA Rule 184.108.40.206)
What are the Sources of Information for Place of Publication in RDA: Take places of publication from the following sources (in order of preference):
- An optional addition in 220.127.116.11 allows you to add a larger jurisdiction if it doesn’t appear on the resource. LC takes no position on this option -- use cataloger judgment.
RDA vs AACR2: 3 Changes from AACR2 Regarding Place of Publication
- only the first place of publication is "Core"
- "[S.l]" is no longer permitted
- do not correct incorrect information; instead, make a note to explain
264 #1 $a Red Oak [Iowa] (addition OK, but not required)
In AACR2 cataloging it should be given as 260 #1 $a Victoria, B.C. (AACR2 1.4B4 and 1.4C3 prescribes to use abbreviations found in appendix B, in RDA abbreviations should be used only if given on the source of information.)
Example of inaccuracy in Place of Publication: On resource mentioned as: London (but actually published in Oxford, information on source of information is given incorrectly)
264 #1 $a London : $b Oxford University Press, $c 2015.
500 ## $a Actually published in Oxford.
In AACR2 cataloging it should be given as 260 #1 $a London (i.e. Oxford) : $b Oxford University Press, $c 2015.
Example of abbreviation in Place of Publication: On resource mentioned as: Bs. As.
264 #1 $a Bs. As.
500 ## $a Published in Buenos Aires.
- RDA - Production, Publication, Distribution, Manufacture, Date - MARC 264 (Visit and Bookmark this RDA Blog post for important links to Resource Description and Access and AACR2 Cataloging Rules and Examples on PUBLICATION PRODUCTION MANUFACTURE DISTRIBUTION ETC., MARC-260, MARC-264, and DATE applying guidelines from RDA RULES-CHAPTER 2 and LC-PCC PS)
- Questions and Answers : Place of Publication
- Production, publication, distribution. Manufacture, and copyright notice : MARC to RDA Mapping